15 May 2016

Good Morning, It's Great To Stay Up Late!


I’ve set my alarm for the same time everyday and here’s why;

 Now I am the queen of random wake up times. I spent years working in hospitality with two start times; 11am and 4pm. This did me absolutely NO favours, I got sick more often and I was always tired. Obviously you can’t necessarily change where you work but you can make a change to your routine to try and at least incorporate an hour or two to take in some fresh air and daylight. I haven’t been feeling on top form recently and have found that despite the fact sleeping in feels lovely whilst you’re doing it, It doesn’t help you have a productive day and certainly doesn’t make you any happier for the busy hours ahead. 
Over sleeping is referred to by clever people as ‘sleep drunkenness’ and is sleepy times version of a hangover. That’s right my friends, what we think is a reward for our body is in fact inflicting hangover like symptoms!? It makes you feel totally rubbish because you are confusing the part of your brain that controls your daily cycle. Deep down inside us is a clever little group of cells, this is your circadian pacemaker which is found in the part of your brain that also controls when you feel hot and sweaty or if you are feeling hungry or thirsty. It’s mostly controlled by light and figures out when its morning, it then sends signals to the rest of the body. You’re probably working this out now right? Get up at 1pm, your body will be screaming woaahhh whats going on man! This makes you feel even more tired because despite the fact you got out of bed at midday, your body clock woke bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7am!

It’s not just your day it’s messing up; it has also been linked to heart disease, diabetes, memory loss and obesity. Do remember that if you are taking regular medication drinking a bit too much, this will affect your sleep. I went from someone who could just about manage an 8 hour stretch to taking Oxy Codone daily and managing a whopping 12 hours sometimes without breaking up a sweat! I recently purchased a Lumie Body Clock, it wakes you up with natural day light (takes some getting used to) but I am loving it! Now I am always sceptical when I read about something that is apparently going to make me live longer, but as someone who has more health problems in the last two years than most people have in their entire life, I’m willing to give it a shot.
SHARE:
© TalktoTegan

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig